Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I'm Done!

I finished reading Sunday. I don't feel any better about Joan Didion's outcome than I did when I started the book. I don't think that she accomplished the healing process, and is stuck in limbo between wishing that John were still alive and expecting John to still walk through the door. I think she could still go on wishing he were still alive, that seems to be a coping mechanism that she could deal with. The expectation for him to reappear is holding her back. I think she knows this however because of those little voices in italics that appear from time to time in the text. I wonder if she knew she was writing those.

I did like the book a lot and want to read some of her other writings and some of John's as well.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you guys next to the Mississippi River?

2:55 PM  
Blogger H said...

couldn't of said it "betteh" myself!

Yes they had a truly encompassing life together, Joan and John. I daresay that most marriages don't have that sense of completeness that they had.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home